Thursday, May 7, 2020

When Camera Feels and Speaks

Don't know about others ... But to me Art is God's gift to be Free ... Anonymous.

https://www.ctsnet.org/home/slakhotia

Photography is my passion & my hobby , it helps me to relax and rejuvenate,  to concentrate more in my profession  to express my inner core, to enjoy the reflections of eternal in a way in which our eyes can't enjoy,  it freezes a moment in time forever !

By photography I wanted to spread the message that artists are not only those who study art formally, in fact we all are artists, every human being, every creature,  every life form existing in this word is an artist.  Art is inherent in all of us, we all practice art in one form or another in every act we do.


Who doesn't love photography and to be photographed?  I think we all. Photography is both science and art, art with meditation more. And taking photographs is purely an art with meditation, so I feel.  So why we do not enjoy art in its varied forms which has been gifted to each of us? Why we let artist in us die as we grow more and more in our professional fields? I feel art can be kept alive in each of us, in whichever profession we are. When we keep the artist inside us alive, I feel we do better in our chosen fields.

Art teaches us to be humble, to be caring and sharing and forgiving, to be loving to all !!


Let us rekindle our artistic soul and enjoy this beautiful world of eternal beauty. We always say Oh supreme I want to see you! But through his beautiful creations, his reflections everywhere we are seeing him all the time! Let's realise this and enjoy these Reflections of supreme love in each moment of our lives.



Everything around us can be a subject, can be photographed. We just need a loving eye to observe our surroundings. I feel to take a good photograph more than technology, love and respect for your subject that you want to capture in camera is needed. I realise my knowledge of hardware and software of photography is very poor, the fact is, I simply enjoy clicking from my heart.


“Most important is your composition, timing, angle and of course your mood and love for the subject you are going to click. The more you love and respect your subject, the more you meditate with the subject, more beautiful it will come as a photograph. The connect between you and subject is very important. When I am seeing through the eye piece of my camera, all my other thoughts go away and my mind and heart gets united to see the subject only.” 
My passion for photography started when I was in Class 11 and went for National Himalayan Mountaineering Expedition in Sar pass area of Kullu Parbati valley in Himalayas. Since then the love and romance has increased day by day. My photography hobby has not only given me inner happiness and pleasure but also has helped me in making friends, capturing moments of my own, family and friend’s  lives and this passion has given me a lot of stimulus to travel. I have extensively travelled in India from Changlang in Arunanchal  to Dwarka in Gujrat and Laddakh in  J&K to Kanyakumari in Tamilnadu. 

Some of my photos can also be enjoyed with music on :
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLe_safEIr_soma4YRUcH-PReOXMc9Nsm1

It also helps you to relax and rejuvenate. When I have camera in my hand and eyes behind lens, it's like meditation and the subject becomes the centre of meditation.

In my romantic journey with my camera that started in summers of 1988 I used Kodak hot shot for first 10 years, which was gifted to me by my father. My father himself is a good photographer and enjoys his hobby till date in spite of being an accomplished scientist. My mother also loves painting and photography. There must surely be a 'gene' for photography !!

 After using Kodak for around ten years , I upgraded to Nikon FM-2 and then in 2006 I bought Nikon coolpix and later in 2010 Nikon D 5000 and now I am using Nikon D 5500, Nikon D 750 and Nikon P900 along with different lenses for different purposes. “Camera body along with different type of lenses also play an important role, and I enjoy my set of lenses with basic Nikon body.” And now of course mobile is the best friendly camera we all have.

One does not need to have the most advanced, best of expensive cameras to take good photos; even a simple mobile camera can produce excellent shots. Technical knowledge in great depth is not essential to take good photos, one should have an eye for beauty, imagination in heart for what looks beautiful and love and respect for your subject.

When I started, photography used to be a costly hobby, the film roll and its development were not only costly but getting them developed and printed was time consuming too. With the digital age, cameras have become a common household item, now almost all of us use camera. Modern cameras are very user friendly and can be operated even by kids. And the most wonderful thing is no matter how many snaps you are taking, the cost does not increase. Number of photos that you take are not dependent on your finances but by capacity of your memory card !

There are many magazines and books in the market as well as web sites plus many courses which tell everything you would like to know about science of photography. But the art of photography is something that only you can cultivate in you.

I am extremely thankful and grateful to my parents, family and all friends for giving me encouragement, space, time, blessings and love to pursue my passion.



My message through this article: develop love for nature and surroundings and always cultivate your hobby, no matter what your profession is.

Dr. Siddharth Lakhotia
MBBS, MS, M.Ch, FIACS
Professor and Head
Cardio-Thoracic Surgery
Institute of Medical Sciences
BHU, Varanasi
drslakhotia@gmail.com


15 comments:

  1. we r blessed to hv u as a teacher!u inspire n awoken the hearts of others..huge respect to u sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also feel happy and blessed to enjoy the process of bilateral learning with all of you

      Delete
  2. See the world through the lenses.
    Carry on Dr..Live your passion.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really appreciate sir, beautiful work done...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice write-up. You have not only shared your experiences but also given an insight into the very essence of photography. You have truly said that photography is a state of meditation where time, man and machine freeze for a moment and create a memory to cherish. I have been inspired by your insights and travelling with you has given me a lot of lessons in enjoying every moment of the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have also enjoyed and learned in lot during our many journies together, i should say many off beat adventurous ones. Some of my wonderful portraits are gift of your camera

      Delete
  5. Recall proudly that my book Dawn's Delight published in 1998 had wonderful make up with your masterpieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pleasure is equally mine, and infact to get words of your heart for the photos is a delight.

      Delete
  6. I appreciate your worshiping nature's photography. Your capturing the feel of surroundings is wonderful. It's an art. Like any art it develops into meditation. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your books have so many unseen places which we can see through your lenses,really
    Enjoyed your masterpiece work of the mother nature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So well written and expressed

    ReplyDelete

Medical Science and Education : Do we lack Focus ?

I  am writing a few thoughts wrt medical vision especially cardiac surgery future in India. This can be treated as part one.  We are current...